Willows Methodist Church was planted more than 100 years ago in Hatfield.  Hatfield Methodist Church was first established in 1923 in a wood and iron building and has grown into the thriving community of Willows Methodist today.

From the 1980s Pretoria began expanding eastward and after Rev Dudley Goodenough was stationed at Hatfield Methodist in 1992, he was inspired to relocate the church to the growing eastern suburbs of Pretoria. 

Church Services started in the Willowridge High School Hall during 1996, and it soon became clear that God was blessing this work.  God miraculously provided a property on Meerlust Road in the suburb of Equestria and the property in Hatfield was sold.  A workshop on the new property was renovated into the Gospel Garage.

By March 1997 Willows Methodist Church was conducting all three of its Sunday services at its new premises. The leaders knew that youth work would be important and, stepping out in faith, they appointed a youth leader.

The building of the new Church sanctuary commenced in January 1998 and the words chosen by Rev Goodenough from John 12:21 for the cornerstone were, “We would see Jesus.” The new sanctuary of Willows Methodist Church was opened on 8 November 1998 and the prayer cast on the cornerstone has been graciously answered by God. 

Willows Methodist has been a beacon of love, faith, hope, and unity, touching countless lives in Jesus’ Name.  God has blessed us to be a source of strength and solace during times of despair, a sanctuary where He has been praised and glorified, a place of friendships being forged and families nurtured, and where generations of dedicated members continue their resolute commitment towards Christ’s gospel mission. 

We continue to hold to that prayer, “We would see Jesus.”